The Depart was planned on the 27th of June, but has been postponed to August the 29th because of the COVID-19 crisis. The situation during the summer will decide whether or not the Tour will take place this year. The information given here is therefore under condition.
A few milestones in the history of Nice in the Tour de France.
- 1906 René Pottier won the first stage to finish in Nice. The stage was 345km long and the departure was in Grenoble. He was also the final winner of the 1906 Tour de France
- 1947 René Vietto gets the yellow jersey in Nice, after a stage won by Camellini. Jean Robic wins this first edition of the Tour after WWII.
- 1950 Same double for Ferdi Kübler who wins the stage in Nice and will win the Tour in Paris.
The Nice > Gap stage is won by Raphaël Geminiani.
- 1973 Lopez Carril wins the Embrun > Nice stage, Luis Ocana wearing the yellow jersey.
The next day, Wright wins the Nice > Aubagne stage. Luis Ocana still wears the yellow Jersey and will win the Tour.
- 1975 In a stage starting in Nice, Bernard Thévenet wins in Pra-Loup, taking at the same time the yellow jersey from Eddy Merckx's back. He won the first of his 2 Tours this year.
- 1981 Bernard Hinault, world champion, won the prologue in Nice and exchanged his rainbow jersey for the yellow one. He was on his way to the 3rd of his 5 Tour victories.
The next day, Freddy Maertens wins the sprint on the Promenade des Anglais after the first half stage. The second half stage is a team time trial Nice - Antibes - Nice, won by the Ti-Raleigh team. Gerry Knetemann gets the yellow jersey at the end of the day.
The next day, Nice > Martigues is won by Van der Velde and Knetemann keeps the yellow jersey.
- 2013 The Tour had just landed from Corsica after three stages there. Orica Greenedge won the team time trial in Nice.
It'll be the 37th time that Nice will welcome the Tour de France. It'll be the 2nd Grand Départ after 1981.
Thursday August the 27th : presentation of the teams, place Masséna. (This event might be cancelled, even if the race takes place.)
The Tour will start with 2 stages from Nice to Nice on the 29th and the 30th of August.
On the 31st, the third stage will also depart in Nice, in the Stadium, and the race will then join Sisteron after 198km.
The "Etape du Tour", open to cyclists who want to compare themselves with the champions will be organized in the beginning of July 2021. Participants will follow the exact itinerary of the second stage of the race (minus the final loop), on protected roads, with no car traffic. 177km, with an elevation gain of 3570m. More than 15,000 people are expected to take part. First postponed to the 6th of September it was eventually delayed until next year. It will use the 2020 itinerary.
There will probably be less people to watch the race at the end of August than there would have been at the end of June. But if you want to come and watch it, monitor the availability of rooms and the prices, too.
It is likely that most hotels and other accomodation providers will take advantage of the situation and that prices will be very high.
- Next >>