A few milestones in the history of Nice in the Tour de France.
- 1906 René Pottier won the first stage to finish in Nice. The stage was 345km long and the departure was in Grenoble. He was also the final winner of the 1906 Tour de France
- 1950 Same double for Ferdi Kübler
- 1975 After a starting stage in Nice, Bernard Thévenet won the stage towards Pra-Loup, taking at the same time the yellow jersey from Eddy Merckx's back. He won the first of his 2 Tours this year.
- 1981 Bernard Hinault, world champion, won the prologue in Nice and exchanged his rainbow jersey for the yellow one. He was on his way to the 3rd of his 5 Tour victories.
- 1981 Freddy Maertens wins the sprint on the Promenade des Anglais after the first half stage.
- 2013 The Tour had just landed from Corsica. Orica Greenedge won the team time trial.
It'll be the 37th time that Nice will welcome the Tour de France. It'll be the 2nd Grand Départ after 1981.
Thursday June the 25th : presentation of the teams, place Masséna.
The Tour will start with 2 stages from Nice to Nice on the 27th and the 28th of June.
On the 29th, the third stage will also depart in Nice, in the Stadium, and the race will then join Sisteron after 198km.
On July the 5th, cyclists who want to compare themselves with the champions will have a unique opportunity with the "Etape du Tour". They will follow the exact itinerary of the second stage of the race (minus the final loop), on protected roads. 177km, with an elevation gain of 3570m. More than 15,000 people are expected to take part.
Update at mid november. According to local medias, many hotels in Nice are already fully booked for this period, and prices have been rocketing.
You can try to find an accomodation here. But it is likely that most hotels and other accomodation providers will take advantage of the situation and that prices will be very high.
- Next >>